Re: How do we restart X?

On Mon, Sep 06, 1999 at 09:20:39PM +0800, Ling Alexander wrote:

> I've tried looking for the X-Server but all the processes from my previous
> session (the one that hung) were no longer listed under ps or top.  So
> I've tried grepping for X but without any luck.

It may be that the X server has died messily and left the console in
whatever state it was in as it crashed.  That would certainly explain
the death of all the related processes.  If this is the case, then you
can normally reset the display hardware by bringing the X server up from
the remote console and then killing it again (works for me but not a
good idea, YMMV and so on).  X will die cleanly this time and reset the
display hardware (at least, that's the theory).

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/