Re: Mutt dependency on an MTA

On Fri, Jul 30, 1999 at 08:25:25PM -0600, John Galt wrote:

> This would be more of an arguement for a MTA being a priority:required
> rather than a Depends: on an Extra package.  The other question that this

There are a selection of MTAs.  No given one of them is required, it's
just that you ought to have one installed.

> begs is: Do these other packages that call sendmail depend on a MTA? Not
> RECOMMEND, but DEPEND--if not, why the disparity?  BTW you're right that a

Policy requires that packages do not depend on any package of lower
priority, and in any case a recommendation is almost as strong as a
dependancy in dselect (of course, many people use apt these days).

> MTA is essential, but I'm doubting that it can be said to be a dependency
> of a MUA, more like a recommends:

For MUAs which send mail by calling sendmail, it is pretty much a
dependancy.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/