Re: C2 Certification

On Tue, Jul 27, 1999 at 05:56:21PM -0400, Jasmine Chan wrote

> Hi,
>      My name is Jasmine Chan and I was wondering which packages of Linux is C2
> Certified.  And if they are not, is there any steps taken to make Linux C2
> certified.  Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Jasmine Chan

Just my understanding, but I belive that C2 is an *equipment* certification,
*not* a software certification.  That is, *no* software "has" C2
certification.  Certain specific installations may have, but the
certification relates to the combination of hardware and software submitted.
Linux doesn't have C2 certification, nor does any piece of software per se.

NT "has" C2 certification in so far as a specific configuration of a
specific (non-current) version, with specific apps running on specific
hardware has been certified.  The same is true of some commercial Unices.
In practice, C2 is not useful unless that's really what you want: a server
set up to perform meaningful work in a typical business role is likely to
fail C2 due to the functionality that it is intended to provide, if on no
other grounds.

I am no expert in these things, this is just my understanding from listening
to people who claim to know better than I.

John P.
--
huiac@camtech.net.au
john@huiac.apana.org.au