Re: dselect dconfusion

> I)    I've just updated my packages list (apt-get update.) Now I've run
> into a few dependancy problems - I've also noted that many utilities and
> pkgs have been deselected (not my doing, I think,) many of them
> required, such as adduser, login, and many more.  So I went about
> holding,  selecting, deselecting, and now I don't know where I stand.  I
> Still have many conficts/dependancy problems.  Is there anyway to start
> dselect from scratch? What I mean to ask is can I reset the selections
> to what they were before I started to tinker with them?

Not easily...  Not after you leave dselect that is.

If you get to a dependency-resolution screen, you can use "R" to reset
your selections to what they were before you got there -- usually
including the selection that caused the problem.  But once you get out
of a dependency-resolution screen, it's set.

> II)    Is mailx a standard mail utility?  I thought maybe pine would be
> included in the packages list, though I don't see it.  Can someone
> recommend a decent mail utility for me.  Currently I'm rebooting to win
> in order to mail you these newbie questions.

mailx is a standard mail utility, but it is -very- bare-bones.

Pine is not included because the copyright license on pine does not
quite qualify as free software.  I believe the problem is that they
limit distribution of modified versions.

As for decent mail agents...  I use exmh, but it has enough support
baggage required that even though it is excellent, I wouldn't recommend
it to a beginner.  Elm is also very good.  Mutt also has a good
reputation.

If you use emacs or xemacs, you can deal with mail using either gnus or
RMAIL, which are mail agents written for emacs.

Postilion and balsa seem to show promise, but neither of them are
really finished yet.

But keep this in mind:  Choice of mail agent is a personal decision.
Some people find that mailer A is perfect, but mailer B is unusable.
Others think mailer B is perfect, and mailer A is unusable.  While
"holy wars" about mailers aren't as common or as vitriolic as the
venerable editor wars, they do happen.

> III)    Thanks to those who have so quickly and courteously responded to
> my questions.   I see now why Debian's popularity is growing so
> rapidly:  fast, free, and accurate technical support : )

Danke.