Re: Network addressing

    Mike> Neither plan is good. Please remember that cable modems are
    Mike> broadcast networks. Your ISP, @Home, uses that Class A as
    Mike> subnetted Class C's for good reason.  If @Home is unwilling
    Mike> to assign you two addresses in the same subnet (I assume you
    Mike> asked, right?) there are a number of two to deal with this.

Good point. Maybe. It depends on how clever the cable modem is. I've
been assuming that having two machines plugged into the cable modem
means that all three of them are on a single Ethernet together, not
that the cable modem has two connectors on it.

If the cable modem is just acting like a hub/repeater, then all
traffic between those two machines will go out through the cable
modem. Which is still an improvement over going out over the cable
modem and back again, which is what it was doing.

If the cable modem is acting like a bridge, then there is no problem,
since it will see that the packets are destined for a machine on the
local Ethernet, and not forward them. I don't know if any cable modems
are actually this smart, but in principle, they could be.
--
I get my monkeys for nothing and my chimps for free.
http://www.clark.net/pub/hermit/