Re: 3Com 509B Ethernet card problem part 2

On Mon, Jul 26, 1999 at 04:39:21PM +0200, Fredrik Jonsson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks to all who responded to my first (very incomplete) question!
>
> I have now disabled PnP on the card and set IRQ to 10 and io to 300. IRQ
> 10 is set to ISA (not Pnp) in Bios. Donald Beckers el3-diag report the
> card to be OK, se below.
>
> What I was trying to do was to compile the 3c509 driver hard into the
> kernel with "modconf" and was geting only errors. Many suggested to load
> the driver as a module insteed so I have put the line "alias eth0 3c509"
> in to the file "conf.modules" via update-modules command. But I still get:
>
> On Boot
>      eth0 unknown interface
>
> When I check modprobe
>
> # This file was generated by: modprobe -c (2.1.121)
>      [Deletia]
>      # Aliases
>      alias eth0 3c509
>      alias eth0 off
>      [Deletia]
>
> The first line about 3c509 looks like mine but where does the "off"
> command come from?
Check around /etc/modutils. update-modules looks at all of the files
there and combines them into conf.modules. A problem I've had
in the past is that your editor will make backup files ending
in ~ that inadvertantly get added into conf.modules.

> After running insmod "3c509", modprobe "3c509", ifconfig ... and route
> ... everything looks fine, se below, but I can't get a connection/ping
> other computers on my local network. The settings in ifconfig and route
> disappears after a reboot, I presume this is not right.

Au contrair. On boot-time, all ethernet devices are configured
by /etc/init.d/network. Change the ifconfig lines there
to automatically setup your network card.
--
Stephen Pitts
smpitts@midsouth.rr.com