Network addressing

I have two machines plugged into a cable modem. Both have IP addresses provided by the ISP. One is 24.6.xxx.xxx, and the other is 24.5.xxx.xxx. Theoretically that's all fine 'cause 24. is an A class network. However the ISP says that the netmask for these addresses should be 255.255.255.0, that is, they are subnetting their class A net. And herein lies the problem: looking at their netmask the machines believe they are on separate networks and so to talk to each other they need the upstream machines -- the gateways for each of them -- to be up. That doesn't happen all the time and anyway, I want these two machines to be able to talk to each other without involving the upstream machines at all.

So, my question is: can I simply set the netmask to 255.0.0.0 on both of them and put appropriate entries into the /etc/hosts file? Is this likely to break anything? Alternatively, can I use arp to specify the Ethernet address - IP address correspondence, or something will get confused?

And a semi-related question: on a pure Win98 machine, how do you find out the Ethernet address of the NIC card? I tried looking through the registry, but didn't find anything that looked right.

Kaa