file extensions

I am using slink and gnome, and I have a two questions.  First of all,
How can I add a mime using the gnome control center.  Some of my mp3's
are .MP3 and therefor not recognized as a music file.  Question two,
related to that, is this:  is there an easy way ( a quick command or
script) to covert all the .MP3's to .mp3.  Strangly enough "mv" doesn't
differentiate between .mp3 and .MP3, so I need to change the name to a
temporary file first, which makes the task all the more annoying.

-Aaron Solochek
 leko@cmu.edu