Using apt with downloaded deb

I've been trying to install debian 2.1 but not I?m not being very lucky.

Last time I tried, apt/dselect downloaded all the packages needed to
continue with the installation and started unpacking them but, then, I
run out of space in my root partition and the installation was aborted.
I copied the /var/cache/apt/archives contents to a available vfat/DOS
partition hopeful I would be able to use its contents later.

OK, I?m sending this message hoping that someone could tell me how I
would actually use this set of .deb now that I?ve re-installed debian
and have 'enough space left in device'. I tried to add the following
line to /etc/apt/sources.list (?)

'deb file:/mnt/dos/debian/archives'

that is pointing to the location of the set of .debs but it seems that
apt did't like of my idea. It also seems that a certain Packages.gz file
is supposed to be present in the directory were the .debs are but I
don?t know how to create one! I mean, I know that there is a dpkg-
utility for this task but neither its man page nor its usage message
were helpful to me at all.

Can anyone help me here?

TIA

---
"I may be drunk, but in the morning I will be sober, while you will
still be stupid and ugly." -Winston Churchill

    --==( Tiago Alves MaCambira )==- -==(     UIN: 5340883      )==--
    --==(tmacam@fortalnet.com.br)==- -==(  tmacam@lec.dc.ufc.br )==--
          --==(  Computer Science Student  @ UFC, BRAZIL  )==--