Re: sendmail problems

On Sun, 25 Jul 1999, Gary van Blerk wrote:

> I am running sendmail and the problem I have is I can send mail from the
> server but when I try send from a workstation it says "Undeliverable -
> no transport provider to deliver messages to one or more recipients
> user@domain."  My server can send and recieve mail fine but when a
> workstation tries to send it to any non-local address this message pops
> up.  Has anyone ever had this problem?

sendmail refuses to relay by default, you need to configure yourself an
access database to tell it which hosts it should allow relaying from:

echo "172.16	RELAY" > /etc/mail/access
makemap hash /etc/mail/access < /etc/mail/access
/etc/init.d/sendmail restart

change 172.16 to the subnet your workstation is on; edit the file if you
need more than one.

there's a FAQ which mentions the access database feature somewhere -- i've
not found any more explicit docs though

-t

[obligatory-useless-waste-of-bits-bit-goes-here] ultra-umbra-magic-crypto
EF D8 33 68 B3 E3 E9 D2  C1 3E 51 22 8A AA 7B 98 supercomputer-AES-xspook