Re: New drive

On Wed, Jun 30, 1999 at 12:51:50PM +0200, Rudy Broersma wrote:
> At the moment I have a 810 MB harddisk in my Linux box. I'm going to replace
> it with a 12 GB Bigfoot. Can I just 'copy' the partitions? (Using ghost). Or
> do I need to reinstall Linux (hate that. When I reinstall something I always
> think of Windows)
You should not 'copy the partitions'. Don't know what ghost is, but I doubt
it supports the ext2 filesystem.

Instead put the new disk together with the old one in your computer, say on
the secondary controller, boot from the old one, partition the new, make a
few filesystems, mount them and use tar to transfer the system. Now take out
the old one, move the new one to the primary controller, boot from a floppy,
using the root= option pointing to the root partition on the new disk.
Now run lilo again and that's it. May sound complicated, but it isn't
really.

Nils

--
Plug-and-Play is really nice, unfortunately it only works 50% of the time.
To be specific the "Plug" almost always works.            --unknown source