Re: Using disks > 8GB

Adam Rice wrote:
> Odd. You could try using loadlin if you have DOS on the computer.

There might be something hardware related.  There are real problems on
older Macintosh computers, for example, with booting from volumes that
have more than 2G (2**31) or more than 4G (2**32) bytes.  Seems to have
something to do with signed 32 bit words and unsigned 32 bit words
respectively.

These disks work fine once the system is rebooted, it's just that the
ROM boot code cannot be patched (because the system isn't there yet).

The fix in the Macintosh world is to format them with multiple
partitions.  For example, my new 4.3G hard disk won't boot my 6100
(though it will work just fine after boot) unless I partition it
as a 3.9G (just under 4G) and a runt 400M partition.  I will finally
make it into three 1.4 partitions for use, because it is handy to have
more than one bootable system and select between them depending on
the designated boot volume.  You might see if partitioning the big
disk, then making the other one /usr or /home or something helps...

--
Charles B. (Ben) Cranston
mailto:zben@ni.umd.edu