can't get mtools to work

I used xv to take a jpeg screen-shot of the desktop. Then I tried to save it
to a floppy using mcopy ( mtools ), but Linux will not let me do it. The
following message comes up instead:

Can't open /dev/fd0: Permission denied
Cannot initialize 'A:'
Bad target a:

When I change to root, I can use mtools with no problem. So I figure I have to
add my user name to the "floppy" group.

 # addgroup <username> floppy

also

 # addgroup <username> disk

That still does not solve the problem. Then I looked up some archived debian-
user lists on mtools and one of the messages said to modify my /etc/fstab file.

Question: Am I even on the right trail to a solution? If so, what needs to go
where in the /etc/fstab file? Or if I am completely lost, could someone send me
in the right direction.

Thank you,

Monte Copeland

Knoxville TN