Re: Random partitioning questions

On Tue, Jun 08, 1999 at 12:03:39AM -0500, Brad wrote:
> Yes, i realize this is something a lot of people disagree on. Which is why
> i hope to get a lot of opinions!
>
> 1. If i understand things correctly, /, /boot, /lib, /bin, /sbin, /dev,
>    parts of /etc, and maybe /root should be on one partition below the
>    1024th cyl for hysterical reasons, which do apply in my case. Do i
>    understand correctly?

Yes, pretty much. My hard drive/BIOS has some bizarre LBA system
where my 8.4GB drive has only got 1024 cylinders, so it's not a
problem - maybe the same applies to most modern BIOSes?

> 2. If i were partitioning a new HD, what would be a good size for the
>    partition containing just those directories, that wouldn't waste too
>    much space. Right now on my system, du -c reports 18M for that list, so
>    i'm thinking 50M would allow plenty of room for expansion?

I've set aside 500MB, but then I've got /var in the same partition.
Probably 50 - 60MB should be fine.

> 3. How about sizes for other partitions? /home i'm thinking 750M
>    (personal workstation, 6 users that are just different mailing
>    addresses for me), 1G for /var (with /tmp -> /var/tmp, is that a
>    bad idea?), 2.1G for /usr.

Apart from /var being a tad large (are you running a news server?)
that sounds about right. If you're going to install something like
StarOffice, make sure you do it in /usr, though, not $HOME/SO5.1/ or
whatever it suggests.

> 4. hda1 should be /, but how about the rest? home var swap usr as 2 3
>    4 5?

Extended partitions. (5, 6, 7, 8).

> Just trying to learn here.

So am I :)
--
alisdair mcdiarmid
[i won't tear again i won't breathe in the shards of what is left]