[off topic] installing linux from scratch

Hi,

can anybody tell where to find information on how to install linux
from c source code.
Currently I'm using Debian. Debian is fine. But there is no support for
my Riva TNT chipset in X 3.3.2.3. So I've installed version 3.3.3.1 from
source to /usr/local. Now there are many very anoying problems with the
dpkg dependency check, when installing application for X. dpkg won't let
me install twm without installing xbase, etc. before.
dpkg is missing an option to tell it, that an package has been installed
by hand and there is no need to install the .deb package.

I'm using very few package. Propably it's an option for me, to install
linux from source code. My /usr/local is bigger then /usr.

Armin