Re: exim receives mail, but won't send it to smarthost

On Mon, Jun 07, 1999 at 01:46:00AM -0600, David Karlin wrote

travelin.com doesn't like your sender domain (champagne), probably because
it has no dots in it.  In practice, you will probably need something that
will resolve (like, your actual mail address).  What travelin.com's mailer
thinks this has to do with section 6.2.7 if RFC 822, I have no idea:
"     6.2.7.  EXPLICIT PATH SPECIFICATION

        At times, a  message  originator  may  wish  to  indicate  the
        transmission  path  that  a  message  should  follow.  This is
        called source routing.  The normal addressing scheme, used  in
        an  addr-spec,  is  carefully separated from such information;
        the <route> portion of a route-addr is provided for such occa-
        sions.  It specifies the sequence of hosts and/or transmission
        services that are  to  be  traversed.   Both  domain-refs  and
        domain-literals may be used.

        Note:  The use of source routing is discouraged.   Unless  the
               sender has special need of path restriction, the choice
               of transmission route should be left to the mail  tran-
               sport service.

"

I have the following in the REWRITE CONFIGURATION section of my exim.conf,
that ensures my outgoing uucp mail has an appropriate address:
*@huiac.localnet ${1}@huiac.apana.org.au Ffr
something like that (but not too much like that :-) may work for you.

> > Most likely this is a result of people with dynamic dialup IP addresses
> > attempting to directly deliver their mail. Remote host notices that
> > reverse IP lookup and claimed hostname in HELO do not match so it rejects
> > your mail. If you are using an ISP and have a dynamic IP dialup account,
> > you should be using your ISP's mailhost for outbound mail.
>
> I'd already chosen the smarthost option (#2) in the eximconfig utility.
>

> > Try running eximconfig again and add localhost to your list of other
> > domains for which your host recieves mail for.
>
> I'd already specified this in /etc/exim.conf, but I ran eximconfig again
> with similar results.
>
> Where do I edit my "Sender domain"?  Is it in /etc/exim.conf?  If so,
> is "qualify_domain" the appropriate token?

qualify_domain is appended to sender addresses that don't have a domain
part (e.g., bare usernames), but doesn't have any effect on addresses that
are already qualified.