Re: Quick mounting question

On 6 Jun 99, at 15:42, Brian May wrote:

> It was my assumption that the original poster hadn't made any changes
> to the old /lib directory - hence the only change required
> is to remove the fstab entry and reboot...

I didn't do anything to the old lib directory; I was just asking what
happened to a directory if you mounted over it, because I couldn't
find that information anywhere, and was curious about whether my
old /lib directory was still there "underneath" the mounted copy.  I
appreciate the explanations from everyone.

However, it was before I downloaded any packages that I copied all
the libs over to hdc3 and started mounting it as /lib.  I didn't think at
the time about the fact that that /lib directory wouldn't get mounted
until later in bootup.  After I started mounting hdc3 as /lib, I installed
quite a few packages that stuck things in /lib, and so now I'm
wondering, is the system using the libs in the /lib directory on hda1
during bootup, and then using the libs in hdc3 after mounting it as
/lib?  I know very little about library versions, but that sounds like it
could become a problem at some point.

If I unmount /lib but still have it mounted in fstab, the worst that can
happen is that I'll have to reboot & let it get remounted, correct?

Since the old /lib directory should still be on hda1, my current plan
is to copy everything from /lib (the /lib on hda1) to a temp directory,
pray, unmount it, make sure the old lib directory is there, test
everything out, mount hdc3 as something else in fstab, and then
copy any new files that got put into the /lib on hdc3 back into the
proper /lib.  Would that work?  Or should I just boot back into
Windoze & stay there, for my own protection?  :)

On the subject of what to mount on a seperate filesystem... I don't
really have any place big enough to mount /usr (I install a LOT of
software) except for hda1, which is my root partition, and I don't
really have anywhere else to put my root partition that isn't WAY
past 1024 cylinders.  Currently, I just have my 2.1 GB / on hda, my
128MB /lib on hdc, and two 512MB partitions on hdb that I mounted
as /var and /tmp because I couldn't decide what else to do with
them.  How much space is usually required in /var and in /tmp?  Is
that overdoing it?  Is there something better I should mount them as?
 I believe I heard of someone symlinking tmp to var/tmp, or
something like that.  Is that a feasible idea?

Thanks for the help with this, and pardon my extreme ineptitude.

--
Craig McPherson
The University of Arkansas, Fayetteville AR

"This man walks into a bar... and it hurts!"