Re: CD-writing with IDE CD-RW

On Fri, Jun 04, 1999 at 09:10:42PM +0000, Alisdair McDiarmid wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 04, 1999 at 10:07:29PM +0200, Wojciech Zabolotny wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 04, 1999 at 06:10:52PM +0000, Alisdair McDiarmid wrote:
> > > I'm trying to get my HP8100i CD-RW to function in
> > > Linux (it works okay in Windows), and I'm having
> > > problems with IDE-SCSI emulation.
> > [snip]
> > >
> > > [root%letdown /home/alisdair] # cdrecord dev=/dev/hdd cdimage.iso
> > >
> > I use the Mitsumi IDE CD R/W drive with ATAPI SCSI emulation.
> > It's connected as /dev/hdc (secondary/master) and works fine, but
> > i have to use the "dev=0,0" option in cdrecord.
>
> oh. right. i've tried dev=0,0 (and dev=1,0 and
> dev=0,1 because it's secondary slave) but it still
> doesn't work:
>
> [root%letdown /home/alisdair/development/c] # cdrecord dev=0,1
> /home/alisdair/cdimage.iso
> Cdrecord release 1.8a20 Copyright (C) 1995-1999 Jörg Schilling
> scsidev: '0,1'
> scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 1
> cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open '/dev/pg0'.
>
> is there a HOWTO on this that i've missed? what
> is /dev/pg0?

AFAIR /dev/pg0 is a device used for IDE devices connected via the parallel
port (I had to use it to connect my second CD-ROM writer HP8100e).
Have you installed the paride driver? It is not required for internal IDE
CD-Writer.
AT the moment I have no access to my box with CD-writer, I can check
the details of configuration on monday and send you the message.
But what I remember:
The ATAPI/SCSI emulation should be enabled (read the help for this option,
AFAIR it requires disabling some IDE functions).
In the SCSI section of kernel configuration I have:
  <*> SCSI support
  --- SCSI support type (disk, tape, CD-ROM)
  <*> SCSI disk support
  <M> SCSI tape support
  <*> SCSI CD-ROM support
  <*> SCSI generic support

Your CD-Writer should work as CD-ROM drive and be available as /dev/scd0
 (or /dev/scd1 and so on, depending on how many SCSI devices have you installed
in your box). Are you able to mount the CD_ROM? Try to do it as root:
mount /dev/scd0 /cdrom -t iso9660
AFAIR the IDE CD-Writers are serviced as Generic SCSI devices, so you should have
created /dev/sg0, /dev/sg1 and so on (use /dev/MAKEDEV for this purpose, or
create them manually. Below are their attributes:
crw-------   1 root     root      21,   9 lip 29  1998 sg9
crw-------   1 root     root      21,   8 lip 29  1998 sg8
crw-------   1 root     root      21,   7 lip 29  1998 sg7
crw-------   1 root     root      21,   6 lip 29  1998 sg6
crw-------   1 root     root      21,   5 lip 29  1998 sg5
crw-------   1 root     root      21,   4 lip 29  1998 sg4
crw-------   1 root     root      21,   3 lip 29  1998 sg3
crw-------   1 root     root      21,   2 lip 29  1998 sg2
crw-------   1 root     root      21,  16 lip 29  1998 sg16
crw-------   1 root     root      21,  15 lip 29  1998 sg15
crw-------   1 root     root      21,  14 lip 29  1998 sg14
crw-------   1 root     root      21,  13 lip 29  1998 sg13
crw-------   1 root     root      21,  12 lip 29  1998 sg12
crw-------   1 root     root      21,  11 lip 29  1998 sg11
crw-------   1 root     root      21,  10 lip 29  1998 sg10
crw-------   1 root     root      21,   1 lip 29  1998 sg1
crw-------   1 root     root      21,   0 lip 29  1998 sg0

I'm very surprised, that your cdrecord complains about /dev/pg0
it should complain about /dev/sg0 (or similar)...
Run the cdrecord as root, or create a group "cdrecord", change the ownership
of /dev/sg* devices too the group "cdrecord", allow RW access for group and
add yourself to the "cdrecord" group.

> > AFAIK cdrecord does
> > not understand "/dev/hdd".
>
> oops. that's my fault for not reading the man
> pages. sorry.

I'll forward this message back to the group, maybe if I've said somthing wrong
somebody will correct it before you blow up your machine :-).

--
			Wojciech Zabolotny
			wzab@ise.pw.edu.pl

http://www.debian.org  Linux - free OS for free people!