Re: new ATI graphics boards

On Fri, 16 Apr 1999, Jeff Noxon wrote:

> You might be better off avoiding ATI graphics boards under Linux.  ATI is
> not cooperative with the developer community and drivers tend to take a
> while to get written & stabilize.  I've suffered through problems with
> several generations of Mach64 cards.  Maybe the new boards work great
> already, but I doubt it.

It's too bad if ATI refuses to cooperate (I didn't know). However,
I've been using a Rage II+ based card for about 6 months now with
absolutely no problem. I use then latest XFree96 Mach64 Xserver
with the card (I don't remeber the version number - could it be 3.3.3?).
It even worked right "out of the box", I just downloaded the server,
copied it to /usr/X11R6/bin, edited /etc/X11/Xserver and that was about
it. The only thing I had to change in XF86Config (besides the modes)
was override_bios option - I needed to include it in order to be able
to get 1280x1024x24 mode work - the card's bios is buggy and mistakenly
reports that this mode is invalid. (Be careful when using the override_bios
option - according to the Xserver docs, it is possible to damage your
hardware if you use it improperly).

	pvl

--
Pavel Mores (mores@nspuh.cz)