Re: X windows and ModeLines

*- On 15 Apr, David Nelson wrote about "Re: X windows and ModeLines"
> 1) You won't get anything out of the mouse wheel. Don't think anyone
> wrote a special driver for it, so...

Wrong.

>From 'man XF86Config'

       ZAxisMapping N M
               Some mouse devices have a wheel or a  roller.  Its
               action  is reported as the Z (third) axis movement
               in the X server.   The  Z  axis  movement  can  be
               assigned  to  another  axis  (X or Y) or a pair of
               buttons (the button N for negative movement and  M
               for positive movement) with this option.

and from my XF86Config

Section "Pointer"
    Protocol      "MouseManPlusPS/2"
    Device        "/dev/psaux"
    SampleRate    133
    Resolution    200
    Buttons       6
    ZAxisMapping  4 5
EndSection

Then have a look at the imwheel package

Package: imwheel
 Various new mice, including the Microsoft IntelliMouse, and the
 Logitech MouseMan+, Wheel Mouse, and others, now have a "wheel"
 button in the middle of them. This wheel button acts both as a
 standard button (by pressing it), and a wheel, which under MS
 Windows may be used for scrolling windows around.
 .
 This program supports the wheel scrolling operation by one of
 two means:
 1. Some newer X servers support mapping the wheel to buttons
    4 and 5, which imwheel then captures and supports,
 2. Using a patched version of gpm, the normal mouse events are
    passed on to the X server through /dev/gpmdata (gpm's standard
    "repeater" mode), and in addition wheel events are sent to another
    pipe, /dev/gpmwheel. imwheel picks up these events, and translates
    them.

or http://www.inria.fr/koala/colas/mouse-wheel-scroll/

Brian