Re: how to reset the console?

On Tue, Apr 13, 1999 at 11:49:43PM -0400, Rob Mahurin wrote:
> I feel pretty silly about this ...
>
> I was playing around with some of the programs in the games directory
> and one (lincity) gave me some complaint about svga permissions.  I
> said Hmmm and tried it with sudo, and it got about halfway through
> changing the video stuff and died.
>
> Now I'm stuck with a half-reset console, which makes all of my text
> VTs pretty much useless.  Instead of having text characters, I have

man 1 textmode

savetextmode(1)        Svgalib User Manual        savetextmode(1)

NAME
       savetextmode, textmode - save or restore the complete SVGA
       status for textmode.

SYNOPSIS
       savetextmode
       textmode

DESCRIPTION
       These are simple scripts to save the SVGA  register  state
       when  in textmode to the files /tmp/fontdata and /tmp/tex-
       tregs or to restore it from these files.

       The actual utilities  used  are  restorefont(1),  restore-
       textmode(1), and restorepalette(1).

       The purpose of these scripts program is usually to recover
       from a crashed console due to an svgalib, Xfree  or  other
       program bug.

       You  do this by being a smart guy and running savetextmode

Never tried this - I didn't know about it until about 3 days ago.

HTH
Ivan.