tek 440 and printcap

Hi,

I'm having difficulties setting up my /etc/printcap file to
print to a Tek Phaser 440. The printer is on the network
and I can print to it from any of the Win* OSs, but not
from Linux/Debian. My printcap entry is :

lp1|Phaser 440 hallway:\
        :lf=/var/log/lpperrs:\
        :df=/etc/filter.ps:\
        :lp=/dev/lp1:\
        :rm=128.165.168.165:\
        :rp=text:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/remote_lp1:

Which is a copy of my entry for a HP5000, which works
fine. ( The only difference is the IP address in the rm field. )
I've tried rp = to ps, text, lp, lpr, and blank to no avail.

After a boot, lpc returns this for the status:

lpc> status
lp:
        queuing is enabled
        printing is enabled
        no entries
        no daemon present
lp1:
        queuing is disabled
        printing is disabled
        no entries
        no daemon present
        :
        queuing is disabled
        printing is disabled
        no entries
        no daemon present
        :
        queuing is enabled
        printing is enabled
        1 entry in spool area
        no daemon present
lpc>

Do not know why there is multiple level for lp1. This probably is not helping
printing to lp1.

lpc> restart all
lp:
        no daemon to abort
lp:
        daemon started
lp1:
        no daemon to abort
lp1:
        daemon started
        :
        no daemon to abort
        :
        daemon started
        :
        no daemon to abort
        :
        daemon started
lpc>start

lpc> status
lp:
        queuing is enabled
        printing is enabled
        no entries
        no daemon present
lp1:
        queuing is enabled
        printing is enabled
        1 entry in spool area
        waiting for queue to be enabled on 128.165.168.165
        :
        queuing is enabled
        printing is enabled
        1 entry in spool area
        waiting for queue to be enabled on 128.165.168.165
        :
        queuing is enabled
        printing is enabled
        1 entry in spool area
        no daemon present
lpc>

When I try to print something, I see this:

$ lpq -Plp1
bajor2: waiting for queue to be enabled on 128.165.168.165
Rank   Owner      Job  Files                                 Total Size
1st    harsh      10   t1.ps                                 641345 bytes

lp: bad queue name (check printcap entry)
$

So I guess I have two questions:

1) what is the correct printcap entry for a Tek Phaser 440?

2) Why do I have what appears to be multiple level of queuing on lp1,
  More importantly how do I get rid of them? I've tried lpc stop, lpc disable,
  commenting lp1 out of the printcap file and rebooting, manually restarting
  lp1 thru lpc.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Jim

Jim Harsh  E-Mail: harsh@lanl.gov