Re: Using powersave Features on monitor

*- On 30 Mar, Sean wrote about "Re: Using powersave Features on monitor"
> But does that really send it into powersave mode?  When setterm blanks the screen,
> the CRT guns are still running, as the back of the monitor is still warm to the
> touch, whereas when Windows puts the monitor into powersave mode, the back of the
> monitor becomes cool.

setterm can do both, from the man page:

     setterm [ -blank [ 0-60 ] ]
     setterm [ -powersave [ on|vsync|hsync|powerdown|off ] ]
     setterm [ -powerdown [ 0-60 ] ]

blank just blanks the screen after [0-60] minutes.  powerdown shuts if
off after [0-60] minutes, and powersave does in now.  Try it an walk
away wait a few minuts before hitting a key.  If the monitor takes a
few seconds to come to life then it has shut it down.