netscape and sh/bash

This has probabyly been discused here before but a search in the archives
produced no results.
I am running a Debian 1.3.1 system with a 2.0.33 kernel and v4.05 of Netscape.
 I have my helper apps setup in Netscape but when I click on a link that is
supposed to launch an application, I always get a dialog box with errors like
this
"sh -c:line 1:missing closing ")" for arithmetic expression"
there are always 3 of these.  I did a find for sh, I noticed that /bin/sh is
linked to /bin/bash.
How do I fix this so that applications will be launched properly.

TIA
jmb