DialD/PPPD Problem....

I'm currently running DialD using a USR Sportster 33.6 Modem.  I want to
"upgrade" this modem to a K56Flex Motorola; however, when I swap out the USR
for the Motorola, strange things happen....

After enabling full debug and watching the logs, all I could find was that
DialD's connect script would run successfully and diald would start pppd.
However, right at this point, pppd would die with only an "exit" - rather
than the usual, which is "ppp1...".

I've tried connecting to my ISP using Minicom, CTRL-A, Q, Y, and then
manually starting pppd and that works okay.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Kevin Traas