Re: laptop install help

On Tue, 21 Apr 1998, Jens B. Jorgensen wrote:

> In addition to the pcmcia-cs package you also need the pcmcia-modules-2.0.?? .deb
> package which matches your kernel version. 'uname --release' will tell you which
> one you've got. You'll have to ftp this package from the debian archive, put in on
> a floppy, then install it on your laptop with 'dpkg --install pcmcia-.....deb'.
> Reboot and hopefully your pcmcia hardware isn't too new for the version of pcmcia
> support debian provides in the stable release. You should see messages when your
> laptop boots telling you that the pcmcia card manager found and identified a
> serial port (your modem). It will also tell you which device it's assigned as. If
> it says 'tty02' then the correct modem device for you is /dev/ttyS2. Try this and
> let us know.

After installing pcmcia-modules-2.0.29x.deb and pcmcia-cs-2.9.6-3.deb on a
2.0.29 system as described in my last post, Card Services does start at
bootup, but complains about unresolved errors in my modules/pcmcia directory
and then cardmgr dies, saying that there's no pcmcia in /proc/devices ...

My guess is that I will have to find (from where, I don't know) the older
pcmcia-cs that works with this version of pcmcia-modules and install that.