Linux as a eMail/Internet server.

Hi there fellow Linux fans (Debian and the like!)

About 6 months ago I stumbled upon the greatest find of my life.  Someone
had told me about a wonderful OS that multitasked great, handled 100's of
users, had very little requiremets and was a all round OS for anyone.  So,
I downloaded Debain GNU Linux and gave it a try.  I was most impressed by
it AND by the help I got from this list.  Via this list I managed to get a
copy of tri-linux for free (postage included to South Africa).  I now have
a great little 386 running Debian Linux that I use to fiddle with.  I now
consider myself quite an "expert" with it :)

I am only 16 years old and do WWW site design, computer repairs and
installations, etc...  I am currently working at a Computer Resourse
Centre.  We have decided to get an account with the Western Cape Schools
Network (as we are part of a school) which offers UUCP email with a domain
(i.e user@mydomain.wcape.school.za) for a negligible amount.  The software
that they recomend for Windows will cost us a fortune.  They have not
suggested anything else in the way of software.  I then sugested to the
owner about Linux.  I spent the day explaining to him all about it.  He was
very impressed and said that it would be a great option to think about...

We have about 20 + computers ranging from P100's to P200's.  They all have
win95 osr 1 or 2 and NE2000 compliant network cards.  The network is
running on Windows IPX stuff.  (Totally a microsoft network).  We would
like to have the Linux server dial up as needed to offer email (via uucp)
and internet access (via ppp) for the pupils/customers.  I want UUCP to
dial up on a schedule and have the ppp connection connect when needed (ie
when Netscape for IE starts on the win95 computer)

I was hoping that someone out there may be able to help me through this and
give me (step my step!) instructions or better ideas on what to do.

I was going to create an account for all of the students on the Linux box
and get UUCP to filter email accordingly.  Then I was going to run a pop
server (slakware has one "built in") on the Linux side and let the
computers "connect" via the network to Linux with Outlook express and get
the users email.

The Linux box will NOT have a direct connection to the Internet.  I have
managed to get a PPP connection with my ISP at home with Netscape on X.
That is as far as i have gotten!

I would appreciate ANY help that I can get.  I am not on this list, so
could you please maybe email me at phiali@bigfoot.com

If this works, then there are many other places that I know of that would
go for Linux.  I hope to get the whole of my community onto Linux soon!!!!
I am also thinking of starting a LUG here (any info about your LUG would be
appreciated!!!)  I really hope that this will succeed!!!

P.S  I want to run XFree86 on my 386 with Hercules.  At the back of my
monitor it says 50-60Hz or KHz (cant remember!?)  Please, if anyone has had
any experience with Hercules and X, I would appreciate your help!!

Sorry for all of the questions!!!!!!!!!!!!

Linux rulezzzzz

---
Your's Sincerely,					PO Box 43933
Alistair Phillips					Fish Hoek