Re: Debian 2.0 Question

you know....since I have started using linux...I think my system as crashed
probably about 6 times give or take...
most all fo them were hardware!
Once I had exactly the problem you describe...my system was running...
doing "its thing" and power went out (while I wasn't home) then came on again
2 days later my kernel wouldn't recompile and my RAM tested bad
(and I could never get a DIMM to work in that mothboard)
then even before that I had my redhat system working as a server on the
network....
ran for 68 days straight (thats only 68 because 68 days prior there was a power
outage) when my hard drive had a mechanical failure!
then about a month ago (same motherboard as earlier) my motherboard
stopped working right!
these have all been within the past 6 months!!!
only once did I have a software related crash...due to a package
I installed when I upgraded to unstable that was a very early releace and
caused my system to not unmount filesystems on reboot/halt
(so I started rebooting an alot trying to
track down the problem and debug it...killed my system)
any other crashes I have had were just plain my fault (ie forcing it to do something

that it warned me about while logged on as root)
The moral:
1) don't buy cheap hardware, pay the extra $20 to get the stuff that works
(ie stay away from BIOSTAR motherboards...buy ASUS....
or when you se that 200 MHz processor packaged with a motherboard for a
mere $150 (at the time it was a VERY good price)...don't buy it!)
2) get a UPS....they are lifesavers (I got a nice one 1.5 kVA for under $300...
it has already saved my system 2 times!..only had it a month!)
3) when everything is working...be careful when you are root :)
-Steve