Re: Star Office Anyone Using it?

On Thu, 23 Apr 1998, ' ALLAN W. BART wrote:

> hi,
>
> I see that it is available for home usage for free, you can get a cdrom
> for 8 bucks. so how does it stack up against applixware or other packages
> that you know of?

I am using Staroffice 4 on my 486DX40.  I mainly use the spreadsheet, but
have experimented a little bit with the wordprocessor and tried out the
image editor and the presentations and database functions.It is extremely
slow on my machine.  It is not difficult to get it to use all my ram (24
meg)  and swap space (about 60 meg).

I am not a Windows fan and I am not used to the interface of Staroffice. I
find it a bit difficult to use.

I do not like the lack of explanation of basics in the help function.
I could so far not find an index on spesific detailed topics which means
that I am wasting lots of time looking for documentation on certain
topics.

I want to do as many things using the keyboard and not the mouse because
it is faster.

I do not use Staroffice for Wordprocessing because I prefer Emacs with
LaTeX and LyX.

As far as the spreadsheet goes I think it is the first Linux spreadsheet
that I have tried that is usable. The only serious work I use Staroffice
for, is spreadsheet wordk.  I have looked at sc and xspread in the past
and also at 321.  Coming from a Dos environment where I used the original
Quattro I could still not find something with the ease and simplicity of
Quattro for a Linux platform.

The main reason why I am interested in Staroffice is that most the other
computer users I know uses Word or Wordperfect wordprocessors and
Staroffice enables me to read Word and Excel documents if necessary.

Johann

Johann Spies
jhspies@alpha.futurenet.co.za

Windsorlaan 19