Pine w/ maildir (Was: PINE Debian Package)

On Fri, Apr 24, 1998 at 11:55:08AM -0400, Jason Costomiris wrote:
> : I have been using pine for years (no nfs spool) and have never ever
> : experienceed corruption and mail loss due to pine. message loss to me is
> : more of a mta problem, but that's beside the point.
>
> Yes, it is more of an MTA problem.  Pine doesn't do Maildir without lots of
> patching.  Even at that, it's not real stable.

Maildir'd pine is stable..  It doesn't completely WORK, but.  How does it
not work?

	Pine can't delete maildir folders, only use them.
	Pine can apparently make new folders Maildir format, but this
		behavior will include postponed messages and the sent-mail
		folder.  At the end of the month, pine can't rename a
		maildir sent-mail and you can not resume a postponed
		message in a maildir.
	Seems pine will sometimes be willing to create maildirs, but only
		if you tell it to always use maildirs, see above bugs.

It's quite stable though.  =>  I used it for some time.  I suspect these
limitations could be fixed, but I kinda won't be expecting to see them
till the pine maildir patches are updated to include fixes for these
things.

> : Weak arguments.
>
> Ahh..  I see you haven't done much support for large groups of clueless
> users...

Most clueless users find pine difficult to use.  <g>  That being the case,
giving them something more complex is simply frightening.