Re: PINE Debian Package

On Thu, Apr 23, 1998 at 02:19:47PM -0400, Stephen Carpenter wrote:

> I got mutt and installed it about a week ago...along with pine.  I
> really like pine so...it will take some convincing to get me over to
> mutt there are a few features of pine I like and if mutt has them then I
> would be happy to switch to mutt > firstly I need the transparent
> integration of PGP that I get from pine + pinepgp scripts (ok not need
> but it makes my life a hell of allot easier!)  I know this can be done
> with mutt....how do I set that up? (are there any docs on it?)

mutt uses mime/pgp.  This message is in that format.  You will need mutt-i
from the non-us dist, but that's doable.  If you're using procmail there
is a /usr/doc/mutt-i/pgp-Notes.txt.gz file--read it.  If you're using
procmail, you can make mutt see non-mime pgp stuff too.

If you don't use procmail, well, start.  =>

> also...
> I am getting used to pine keybindins...and also...the major thing I
> found lakcing in mutt was menus I like how pine has that menu always
> there so I can see what commands are available (it helps for quick
> learning of how to use it)

^j will justify your paragraphs which cleans them up a lot.  =>

For keybindings, include the /usr/doc/mutt/examples/Pine.rc in your
.muttrc file.  Or better, zcat /usr/doc/mutt/examples/sample.muttrc.gz >
~/.muttrc, open that file up in your favorite text editor and insert the
pine.rc just after the set's.  There is one line you will have to comment
out because it's changed or been removed (not sure which since I don't
use the tagged message stuff)  The line is

	#bind index ; tag-message

I also comment out another from Pine.rc:

	#bind pager \n noop     # PINE prints "No default action for this
menu."

Enter will once again scroll like it does in less.

> also...its nice to have a list of my mailboxes that I can scroll through
> the last feature I would really use is the ability to have it
> automatically move read messages into another "folder"  that way I
> have procmail deliver my messages sorted by folder...  and all I have to
> do is goto my incomming folder for that list to read it then if I want
> an old one just goto th read one I know some of these features are a bit
> "extranous" but they make my life easier (sorry if some of these lines
> are too long...at work I hafta use nutscrape for mail)

Not a problem.  In fact, I have MANY folders, several incoming and several
for saved messages.  This like (which I changed from the default in
sample.muttrc.gz) helps a LOT with that:

	set sort_browser=alpha  # how to sort files in the dir browser

The difference between this and the way it works in pine is you press g
and then it'll ask you for what folder to open, press ? and you get a l
type listing.  I'm thinking of rebinding things a bit to get list reply
(watch that with mailing lists--I slip sometimes and hit r myself) to work
like it did in pine, ie on the r key, make L the filter and make l do a
macro of of g?, it might help me cope a little bit.  =>

You get used to the differences quickly.

> > I'm not sure... personally I dislike Pine's interface, but that is a
> > matter of taste. They don't differ too much anyway.
>
> Well there is no acounting for taste :)

I make mutt's interface very pine-like, but I keep some of the slrnisms I
rather liked.