mail and nfs

Hi,

I have an HP-UX mail server and a bunch of debian machines.  The debian
machines can send mail and it all gets forwarded to the HP.  But I can't
read mail on the debian machines.  The gid for mail on the hp is 6,
but on debian it is 8.  I was trying to mount /var/mail from the hp
to /var/spool/mail on debian.  But elm/mutt can't file lock the inbox
because of the group id permissions.  I've thought of a few workarounds,
does anyone have any comments on these?

Make all MUAs setgid disk (6 on debian).  Unfortunately, this will
need to be redone whenver an MUA is upgraded.  The MUA will be able
to access the inbox as group mail on the hp.  Folders in users' home
directories should be accessible without problems.
Drawbacks: not permanent, security issues?

Somehow remap the gid's when mounting the drive, but this doesn't seem
to be available for nfs.

Change the hp mail system to use 8 for group mail
  find / -group mail -print
  check that I really want to change all these files
  change group mail from 6 to 8
  find / -group mail -exec chown :mail {} \;

Any suggestions?

--
Lee Bradshaw                 lee@sectionIV.com (preferred)
Alantro Communications       lee@alantro.com