Re: off-topic autofs permissions

ramin@uni-oldenburg.de writes:

> Hi!
> I guess this it not a debian related problem, but:
> I am setting up a small Network with a linux server and some linux, win95 and
> nt-workstation clients. The clients shall be able to access the cd-rom and
> zip-drive on the server using autofs. The problem is that the zip drive is
> mounted as drwxr-xr-x root.root /misc/zip, so windoze clients can´t write on it.
> I RTFM, but did not find a way to set other permissons.
> Any ideas someone?

There are two ways to do this - one is to make the zip drive have an
ext2 filesystem instead of a dos one, but then you won't be able to
use the zip drive on MS machines.  The other is as follows:

I assume that in your /etc/fstab you have something like:
/dev/sda4    /misc/zip   vfat   noexec    0  0
(Or you may have type "fat" instead of "vfat", or you may have
some other options instead of "noexec" (like, say, "defaults"))
Anyway, what you need to do is make the following change to
/etc/fstab:
/dev/sda4    /misc/zip   vfat   noexec,umask=000    0  0
(If you just had "defaults" before, you can just replace it with the
"umask=000" bit)
Then everyone will be able to write to /misc/zip.
Also, anyone will be able to delete anyone else's files on /misc/zip,
and you won't be able to tell who did it - this is because the
fat/vfat filesystem can't keep track of who owns what file; attempting
to make the directory "sticky" (like /tmp is) won't work.

I suggest that it really might be best to have some other directory,
which was set with permissions like /tmp that would be copied onto the
zip disk every five minutes or so by a cron job.