Install on compaq presario 1680

Greetings all,

I'm trying to install debian and X(if possible) on a compaq 1680 presario
laptop....i downloaded the newest hamm disks....and because of the way all
of the software came on one "quik-restore "  cd...i had to use fips to
create a partition  for  debian.  I left the partition unformated so that
i may create the swap and linux partion through the install procedure.  I
get o that point in the install...and for some reason it cannot read the
disk geometry......because "Opened disk read-only - you have no permission
to write"....next fatal error on fdisk and it kicks me back to the hamm
installation menu!!!!!

Now i just need help in reading the disk geometry and partitioning the
disk so that i may install.....i remember trying a bo installation before
and not having any problems.......i may try the old bo rescue disk...just
to try and partition...and hope that the hamm install...will be able to
see the partition when i resume hamm installation.

Does anyone have any ideas on why this may happen or on a possible
work-around? Will X work on this laptop (neo magic vid card)  and if so
what server to use?

TIA,

jd?