SIOCSIFFLAGS: Resource Temporarily Unavailable

I recently upgraded a computer from kernel v 2.0.29 to 2.0.33. It has a
Promise UDMA controller card, and the patch is written against 2.0.33.
The harddrive now works fine. However, I get the message SIOCSIFFLAGS:
Resource Temporarily Unavailable when the system tries to set up the
network interface. The same happens when I try ifconfig eth0 up or start
/etc/init.d/network.
The 3c509 driver seems to load properly. When I type ifconfig eth0, it
shows the card's harware address and the computer's ip address, etc.
I'm not sure where to find info on this. Thanks for your help.

John Paul