Re: ??? upgrade to slink - recompile kernal now ???

On Fri, Dec 18, 1998 at 08:21:39AM +0000, Rich Hartman wrote:
> Hello all,
Hi Rich,

> I'm getting ready to upgrade from hamm to slink... (standard
> packages, etc) Do I need to recompile the kernal or anything like
> that... Make a new boot disk (how?)? What about LILO? What about
You may  not need to rebuild a new kernel,
this depends on the packages You usually have in use
e.g.
isdnutils  3.05
You better upgrade the kernel to 2.0.36 whith the kernel-package
(
i know the ex. is not correct, actually isdn 3.05 and
kernel 2.0.36 are potato-stuff,
see it just as a sample, I know no better one ;)
)

> suggestions, comments?
I have updated from hamm to slink and can comment this as follows.
I updated with apt-get dist-upgrade
it really works great,
my potato-stuff, (only few packages) where not touched or downgraded
apt-get recognize the newer potato-stuff :)
it tooks my about 6 hours with isdn to download the upgrades
and ca. 18 minutes to install
after reboot (don't sure if really needed) there was
2 strange things:
1. I have had no xterm
2. no xmodmap
I get both of them with apt-get
after that all works fine as usual
but I'm only a few days at slink-level,
only have compiled some stuff (g++; postgres; qt-libes)
but it looks like it always looked under hamm ;)

I preffered to myself building a new kernel, but I
assume it is not necessary.

Have good luck
cya

--