Re: Debian too difficult, Red Hat?

On 16 Dec 1998q, Chris Evans wrote:
> On 15 Dec 98, at 21:59, KTB wrote:

[snip]

> I'm copying this to the list as a sort of "thank you" to so many
> people who've helped me directly or have asked questions or
> answered questions other than mine which have helped me!
>
> Seasonal greetings all!
>
> Chris

I'd like to echo this, and also thank the several maintainers of packages who
have always replied promptly and helpfully when I've encountered
difficulties/bugs in their contributions.  This accessibility of the maintainers
is a very big plus for Debian.

I started some years ago with Slackware, and nearly gave up; then I tried Red
Hat and things went much better.  I became converted to Linux.  A few months ago
I decided to try Debian and have now changed to it completely.  From most points
of view I prefer it to Red Hat, although the difference is not enormous; I only
miss /etc/rc.local. The only thing that's a bit difficult in installing Debian
is dselect, but once you're past that hurdle things go pretty smoothly.

BTW, I've just removed the pre-installed Windows 95 from my new Toshiba
Satellite!  I spent a few days experimenting with W95 just to get the feel of it
(I'd only used Windows 3.0 in the distant past), and was struck by how
cumbersome it was after Linux.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell  -  running Linux Debian 2.0
acampbell@achc.demon.co.uk  http://www.achc.demon.co.uk

"The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on..."   - Edward Fitzgerald