Re: Running seperate eth0 & ppp0 networks

On Wed, Dec 16, 1998 at 10:19:35AM -0800, Ian Eure wrote:
> Lee Bradshaw wrote:

> > > This will limit your access to just the 130.2.0.0 network over ppp.
> >
> > That's what he wanted -- isp network over ppp0, everything else over eth0.
> > I suspect your ppp0/eth0 setup is more common, but it's now what he needed.
> >
> > > Do
> > >
> > > route add -net [your local net address] dev eth0
> > >
> > > and use the "default route" option for ppp to get to everything on the
> > > internet.  I ran this way for some time and it worked fine for access
> > > to either route.
> Ah.... but, let's say that you also have file sharing or some other
> service on your system, and that it is visible to the outside world
> through your ethernet. Will the services still work, or will the system
> send out the syn/ack packet (in reply to the syn for requesting a
> connection) on the ethernet, or over the ppp?

I'm not sure I understand the question. Addresses in the 130.2.0.0 net
are routed through the ppp0 interface. Everything else is routed through
eth0.

In general requests from the eth0 interface will be serviced through
eth0 and those from ppp0 will be serviced through ppp0. There are two
wierd cases. 132.2.x.x addresses requesting services through eth0 - the
reply will go through ppp0. Non 132.2.x.x addresses requesting services
through ppp0 - the reply will go through eth0.

If you have a specific problem in mind, please provide an example using
the original ip addresses - 132.2.0.0 (isp) ppp0, 129.1.0.0 (local)
eth0, default eth0.

--
Lee Bradshaw                 lee@sectionIV.com (preferred)
Alantro Communications       lee@alantro.com