Re: X-windows (ATI 3D Rage II)

At 11:46 AM 12/15/1998 -0600, KTB wrote:
>I have been reading and working with Debian for a week now and I can't even
>answer the questions you ask.  Here is my best shot:
>
>At the X-Free86 web site they said to run "X -showconfig" I did and it said
>that I am using version 3.3.2.3 / window system (Protocol Version 11,
>revision 0, vendor release 6300).  The release date is July, 15 1998 it said
>if it was older that 6-12 months get a new version.  I don't have a clue yet
>as to how I hook up to the internet with Linux.  If I have to download a
>newer version than maybe I can stick it on a floppy using windows or
>something.
>
>I ran ls -a and didn't see any file for X.  I tried dpkg --status XF86Config
>it said "not installed and no info available."  So I don't know if I am
>looking in the right spots or not but I can't find a XF86Config file to look
>at.  I also don't know how to find the output of X.
>
>I know this isn't much but it's all I can muster at the moment.
>Thanks,
>Kent
>

>Martin Waller wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Under BO (Debian 1.3), I had the same problem with the same video card
>> and kept getting the message:
>>
>> Warning: Mach64Clkt < 16
>>
>> (or something similar).
>>
>> I upgraded to hamm (with it's newer version of XFree86) and the problem
>> went away.
>>
>> What version of X are you using?
>>
>> What's the output of:
>>
>> X > <any name for file where x startup messages willbe stored>.txt >
>> 2>&1
>>
>> (e.g. X > myXerrors.txt > 2>&1)
>>
>> Whats your XF86Config file look like?
>>
>> Martin
>>
>> >Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 01:18:07 -0600
>> >From: KTB <ktb@binary.net>
>> >To: "debian-user@lists.debian.org" <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
>> >Subject: Re: X-windows
>> >
>> >OK, I called IBM (I'm using an Aptiva 2137-E24).  My monitor is SVGA,
>> she said
>> >the chipset is ATI (I found more detailed info in Windows, it is an ATI
>> RAGE
>> >II + 3D graphic controller); the RamDac she said was 24MB but after
>> looking at
>> >the drop down menu (while trying to configure x-windows) I think she
>> was
>> >referring to the amount of SDRAM my computer came with; the clockchip
>> she said
>> >was an overlay chip and couldn't provide any additional info; the video
>> Ram is
>> >2MB SGRAM.  The monitor is a G42 (M/T 6540) color 14 inch crt.  So that
>> is the
>> >monitor info I don't know if that is enough to go by.  The closest
>> chipset to
>> >mine seems to be Ati Mach 64 3D Rage II, Internal RAMDAC which I tried
>> and
>> >ended up with a black screen.  I also noticed when going through the
>> set up of
> [...]

Here's my two cents on it:

Make sure your /etc/X11/Xserver has a first line that refers to SVGA, not
VGA16 or NONE or something similar.

If running XF86Setup doesn't give you a usable XF86Config file, try running
xf86config (not the case; Linux is case-sensitive) (XF86Setup is graphical,
xf86config is text-based). Also, when running XF86Setup, tell it "No"
when/if asked if you want to use your existing XF86Config file for defaults.

You need to know the horizontal and refresh rates of your monitor. If you
can't learn that, you can experiment, but be aware you can fry your monitor
with the wrong rates. In XF86Setup, you can probably safely select a
pre-defined setting (ie SuperVGA, VGA, etc) when you get to that point, if
you're confident your monitor can handle that setting.

Keep us updated.