Re: New/old kernel devices disappearing?

Peter Berlau wrote:

> > *     Crucial: Disappearing kernel devices:
> >       Under 2.0.34, I have full NE2000 and PPP. But:
> >       -       only 64MB RAM instead of 128
> add a line in Your lilo.conf like
> append="mem=128M"
Can't. Even if I was using LILO, I'd want to avoid this technique.

I first heard of it when searching Debian's article base. But I also spotted the
next note which said this could cause lockups if shadow RAM and other reservers
could steal RAM if the kernel tried to access those stolen areas. It suggested
to instead apply the kernel full-memory-detect patch; I read around and found
that 2.0.36 was a) the latest stable and b) did have the full-detect patch.
That's why I was going to use it instead.

> >       Under 2.0.36, I have the full 128MB RAM. But:
> >       -       I lose the NE2000 I had before.
> I have a old ISA NE2000 , which works fine under Kernel 2.0.36
> maybe some other tools must be updated to run network correctly
> I know if using ISDN(I do) You must update isdnutils also.
> However, eventually there are equal dependencies between
> 2.0.36 and newer network tools.
> my base and almost of network are from the slink dated > 12/10/98
What tools are those? And how would eth and ppp (and ISDN) be affected if lo
still exists?

> >       -       'dmesg' gives me "Sound initialisation started Sound
> >               initialisation complete" messages. It doesn't give anything
> >               more than that with respect to sound.
> I also assume You have installed the modules and configured
> the modules correctly. If not, or not sure install teh new kernel
> with the kernel-package
I selected each module; maybe I don't understand configuring them. Any pointers
please?
I tried installing them all statically without module support, it didn't help
much at all.

> > correctly reading the BIOS. But the EAPCI emulates at least four different
> > kinds of systems on DIFFERENT IRQs and IOs (e.g. IRQ7 not 5). And I don't
> > know how to tell Linux what to assign where.
> irq 7 often is used for lp, see `/etc/conf.modules' for details
But I believe there's no real conflict. a) the same hardware operates
simultaneously under Winborg and b) I can cat > /dev/lp1 with no problems.

> > stayed up. Worked great for a couple of days. Yesterday morning I boot and
> > "Apache... failed" again. No repeat NO significant changes in configuration
> > in between.
> I've also had this problem, please remove old lock-files under /var
> dam..., can't remember locality, sorry
Thank you. Apache locks under /var/*, I'll have a look. Much appreciated.

> there several books on linux, take time go to a library and read
> some pages in different books, than buy that one which is comfortable
> for You,
> maybe Linux the complete reference. I use this.
Nothing online? I work for a non-profit organisation. This is reflected in my
salary. I gave up megabucks for megabytes (point score on the test :-).

--
P (Peter "Troff" Petroff)
* part-time IT administrator within the Uniting Church