Help with libc6/libstdc++2.8

Hi,
   I ran "apt-get upgrade" a while ago and now gcc won't work. I pinned
it down to a problem with either libstdc++2.8 or libc6. So I tried to
reinstall them both: libstdc++2.8 installed OK but libc6 won't install as
it "conflicts with libstdc++" which I'm sure it's not supposed to...
Someone said that had been a problem and was now fixed so I downloaded and
installed the latest libstdc++2.8, libc6 still won't install. Then I
downloaded libstdc++2.9, this installs but as a separate package, it
doesn't replace libstdc++2.8. I can't remove libstdc++2.8 as other
important packages depend on it and I can't install libc6 as it "conflicts
with libstdc++". Any ideas anyone?

--
Charles