serial terminal hangs at login prompt

Hello,
I've tried connecting two different terminals to the serial port on my
hamm box.  One was an old pc with terminal emulator software, the other
is a genuine Digital VT100.  Both hang at the login prompt.

I ran 'getty -L ttyS0 9600 vt100' most recently for the VT100.  I got
the login prompt, but when I typed my username, there was no response
on the screen.  I have also setup /etc/inittab to run getty and do get
the login prompt on the VT100 when the hamm box boots.

When I did 'man getty' I got the man page for 'agetty'.  It indicated
that the '-L' switch should be used if the terminal hangs at the login
prompt.  I did 'find / -name "agetty*"' and no files were found.  I
looked up both getty and agetty in 'Linux in a Nutshell' and found
that '-L' only works for agetty and not getty.  I searched
/stable/main/packages for 'agetty' and couldn't find it.

Q1:  Where can I find 'agetty'?
Q2:  Is it possible my manpage and executable are mis-matched?
Q3:  Is there something that I'm overlooking in trying to connect
     a serial terminal?

Thanks,

--David