xterm keystrokes: erase, home, end (and others)

Hi!

Some weeks ago you answered me a question (how to make key Backspace
work in xterm). It has been working nice since then, but last week I
broke something: keys Home, End, and Erase (not sure on its name, it is
the one at the left of End) don't work in xterm, and they used to. Erase
in fact works like Backspace (erases the character at the left of the
cursor and moves the cursos one character to the left) when it used to
erase the character at the cursor.

1) Last Tuesday I upgraded my whole system from hamm to slink (frozen)
unknowing what I was doing (I just wanted to upgrade xmcd). When it
finished, xterm had disappeared.

2) In order to have xterm again, I purged xbase-clients, and
xserver-common, and downgraded xbase, xserver-svga, xserver-vga16,
xfnt75, xfntbase, and xlib6g to version 3.3.2.3-2. When I finished I had
xterm, but it didn't work as expected (altough the Backspace did).

3) I supposed that description of terminal was wrong, checked the dates
of /etc/terminfo/*/* and found that they were recent (october or
novermber, I think). As my hamm was released in july, I decided to
downgrade /etc/terminfo. Thus, I purged ncurses-base, and ncurses-bin
(just to be sure) (4.2-2), and removed manually directory /etc/terminfo.
Then, I installed version 1.9.9g-8.10 of ncurses 3.4, ncurses3.4-dev,
ncurses-base, and ncurses-bin. I checked xterm again and it didn't work
well.

4) Dates of /etc/terminfo/*/* were september 98, so I downgraded
ncurses-base to CDROM version: 1.9.9g-8.8. Now, my /etc/terminfo/x/xterm
is dated 17-july and thus it is the same that Monday last week.
Nevertheless, it doesn't work well.

I had left two ncurses packages from slink (version 4.2-2): libncurses4,
and ncurses-term.

Now I think that the problem is not in /etc/terminfo/*/* because:
a) In xterm TERM is set to xterm and works badly.
b) In my virtual consoles TERM is set to linux and they work perfectly.
c) If I start xterm program with "-tn linux" then TERM is set to linux,
but the xterm program doesn't work.

BTW: I'm writting this message with Netscape and in this program all the
keys work well. They also work with other programs like xmcd. I can't
check them with other programs since I only use xterm (to work), Nescape
(to get connected) and xterm (to listen music).

Please, help! I've been a whole week working upseted with xterm and I
only can navigate and listen music!! ;-)

P.S.: Now I also have checked accented vowels (áéíóú), and ¡I can't get
neither them nor other signs in my Spanish keyboard: çñ¡¿ºª.

--
Conrado Badenas (Assistant Lecturer)
Department of Thermodynamics. University of Valencia