Re: dselect can't download Packages.gz

Here's what I get from dselect using the ftp method:

Enter ftp site [ftp.us.debian.org]:

Use passive mode [y]:

Enter username [anonymous]:

If you are using anonymous ftp to retrieve files, enter your email
address for use as a password.  Otherwise enter your password,
or "?" if you want dpkg-ftp to prompt you each time.

Enter password [joe@wow.com]:

Enter debian directory [/debian]:
Go through an authenticated FTP proxy [n]:

Note: order here is important.  Package files are scanned in order so
later distributions will override earlier ones.

So put stable before unstable.

Enter space seperated list of distributions to get
[dists/stable/main dists/stable/non-free dists/stable/contrib]:

Enter directory to download binary package files to
(relative to /var/lib/dpkg/methods/ftp/)
[debian]:

Using FTP to check directories...(stop with ^C)

Connecting to ftp.us.debian.org...
Login as anonymous...
Setting transfer mode to binary...
Cd to `/debian'...
Checking dists/stable/main/binary-i386...
Checking dists/stable/non-free/binary-i386...
Checking dists/stable/contrib/binary-i386...
Closing ftp connection...

Now when I Update...:

Getting Packages files...(stop with ^C)

Connecting to ftp.us.debian.org...
Login as anonymous...
Setting transfer mode to binary...
Cd to `/debian'...

Checking for Packages file... Couldn't find Packages.gz in
dists/stable/main/binary-i386 or dists/stable/main; ignoring.

Checking for Packages file... Couldn't find Packages.gz in
dists/stable/non-free/binary-i386 or dists/stable/non-free; ignoring.

Checking for Packages file... Couldn't find Packages.gz in
dists/stable/contrib/binary-i386 or dists/stable/contrib; ignoring.

Any Ideas?
Paul

>Hay Paul:
>
>We maintain a debian mirror over here. I just checked everything and all looks fine.
>When your specifying your distribution root, you should use /pub/debian.
>Everything is relative from that point forward. ie dists/stable/main ...
>
>Peter
>

>Paul Quinn wrote:
>
>> Hello Peter,
>> I've tried several debian sites: ftp.debian.org   ftp.us.debian.org   debian.crosslink.net
>> They all produce the same results... This has to be a dselect or dpkg-ftp problem, but I don't know where to go from >there.
>>
>> Paul

>> Hi Paul:
>>
>> That not very good. From what are you installing ?
>>
>> Peter
>>
>> Paul Quinn wrote:
>>
>> > I'm trying to use dselect with the ftp method for accessing debian packages. I use a correct site and dist names (the >Access step complete successfully), but the Update step fails to retrieve the Packages.gz files. It complains that it can't >find Packages or Packages.gz in any of the main/non-free/contrib trees, which I and the Access step both verified are >there.
>> > Any help to this?
>> >
>> > Paul Quinn
>> >
>> > --

--- Begin Message ---

Paul Quinn wrote:

> Hello Peter,
> I've tried several debian sites: ftp.debian.org   ftp.us.debian.org   debian.crosslink.net
> They all produce the same results... This has to be a dselect or dpkg-ftp problem, but I don't know where to go from there.
>
> Paul

> Hi Paul:
>
> That not very good. From what are you installing ?
>
> Peter
>
> Paul Quinn wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to use dselect with the ftp method for accessing debian packages. I use a correct site and dist names (the Access step complete successfully), but the Update step fails to retrieve the Packages.gz files. It complains that it can't find Packages or Packages.gz in any of the main/non-free/contrib trees, which I and the Access step both verified are there.
> > Any help to this?
> >
> > Paul Quinn
> >
> > --

begin:vcard
n:Iannarelli;Peter
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:GenX Internet Laboratories Inc.
adr:;;20 Madison Ave.;Toronto;Ontario;M5R 2S1;Canada
version:2.1
email;internet:Peter.Iannarelli@genxl.com
title:Engineer
tel;fax:1+ 416 929 1056