Re: ISDN Adapter or Eth Router or Serial

On Mon, 26 Oct 1998, Ralf G. R. Bergs wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Oct 1998 20:11:44 -0800 (PST), George Bonser wrote:
>
> >We have had good luck at work with Ascend ISDN equipment. If you are on
> >metered ISDN (as opposed to Centrex ISDN) make sure you program that thing
>
> Could you please explain to a German user what the difference between metered
> ISDN and Centrex ISDN is?

Metered ISDN is standard ISDN. In the US, this is metered by the minute.
Centrex is a product sold in the US where the telephone company acts as
a PABX (aka PBX). Your ISDN line is then an extention off of a private
system like your telephone on your desk at work might be an extention of
the business' private telephone system (PBX). In this case, the line is
charged at a flat monthly rate regardless of use. You can only connect to
the ISP, it is impossible to connect to a number outside of the Centrex
frame unless special access procedures are put in place (by dialing 9, for
example, to get an outside circuit). Centrex is cheaper for people that
are using ISDN for internet connectivity because the cost is usually $30
to $60 / month flat-rate. The problem is finding an ISP with a Centrex
frame in the same telephone office that serves your house. You can not go
Centrex between offices without special configuration procedures that are
quite expensive.