ppmtogif seems missing

I am replacing my old Debian 1.1 box with a new 2.0 system.
Attempting to get all my old software to work again, I came
across a problem with the fax tools in mgetty.
Some of the scripts for postprocessing faxes require a program
ppmtogif. The package netpbm does not seem to contain this any
more.
I tried to use the program from my previous release but that
complaines (understandable) about missing libc.so.5. No I realise
that I could install the old libs, but that is not a very elegant
solution.
Does anyone have an idea?

Best regards,

Erik van der Meulen