Re: Debian Hamm Installation Questions

On Wed, Oct 21, 1998 at 05:01:34AM +0000, Kevin Grant wrote:

> I'm a non-unix person installing Debian on a PC (there
> will only be one user) for the first time, and have a

I'm sure you'll get several responses, but you may want to look at
the URL in my sig. It details (my own) step-by-step debian hamm
installation, and speaks to several of your questions. In particular it
offers a selection of packages to install for a basic workstation, and
shows you how to use `apt' to avoid the `dselect' quagmire.

> 1. My bios (Award 4.51pg if I'm reading the version info
> right) supports LBA.  The motherboard (Tyan Trinity AT)
> and hd (Quantum 3.2G) manuals seem to indicate that this
> will allow the system to access partitions larger than
> 1024 cylinders at boot time.  Does this sound correct?

If you're doing a linux-only installation then there should be no
problem. If you're not, then you probably want to have all your bootable
partitions within the first 1024 cylinders.

I wouldn't recommend doing any more partitioning than you absolutely
have to until you come up to speed and can make an educated decision
as to what partitioning scheme makes sense for your system. There is
definitely no "one right way."

> 2. When it comes time to install device drivers I hit
 [snip!]
> ignore it.  I do not get a page of information.  I get one

Sigh. This is an ongoing problem and there is no cure until you get
to the point where you want to compile your own kernel. In the kernel
makefile is a `help' option for each module that gives an adequate
description. For now, install as few modules as you need to get up and
running. Once the system is running it's a relatively easy task to
install additional modules.

> two drivers: PS/2 mouse (psaux.o) and XT hard drive (xd.o)
> I get the following error message: "Device or resource busy".

You almost surely do not need XT hard drive. The drive you described
above certainly doesn't qualify. Do you have a PS/2 mouse? If not, don't
install the module. If yes, then it sounds like you've got a hardware
conflict of some sort.

> whatever command line parameters I think should be provided

Hit <Enter> in every case. The only module that I've ever installed in a
base install that _requires_ command line parameters is the NE2000 NIC,
and it's very explicit about telling you that.

> 3. Dselect.  Powerful program.  Steep learning curve.

Yeah, avoid it like the plague. See my web page for instructions on
using `apt'.

Luck,
Pann
--