Re: HDD sleep

On Sun, 18 Oct 1998, Dave Swegen wrote:

> I'm trying to set my system up so that I can leave the computer on while I
> sleep. I discovered that a fair amount of the noise was caused by the
> HDDs, and sending them to sleep made things a lot quiter. However, whilst
> I can spin down the secondary HDD (/usr), the main one (/) only remains
> asleep for 10 seconds or so, before spinning up again. Anyone have any
> suggestions what I can do about this?

This one bothers me too... I used to have it sorted, it was smail running
to send mail..  I use exim now, but it isn't that, I have disabled its
crontab entry.

> Also, does an eventual hdparm script go into /etc/rc.boot?

I was really replying about this... Yes, it does. (I find it is easier in
there than anywhere else.

                       Michael Beattie (mickyb@es.co.nz)

                       A feature is a bug with seniority.