Re: Adaptec aic7XXX driver

"Timm Gleason" <timm@n2h2.com> writes:
| Does anyone know if there is a specific site for distribution of the newest
| Adaptec Linux drivers? Similar to the development pages that Donald Becker
| has for the tulip and epic network drivers.

following line in the message body:

subscribe aic7xxx <your email address>

It's pretty low volume so it won't fill your mailbox or anything.

| I have noticed that the version we are using does not seem to drive our UW
| IBM drives at their highest speed even though the card bios is set for
| 40MB/s, the driver initializes the drives at 20MB/s.

I THINK this is a pretty well known problem. Actually, you're lucky
the original driver recognizes the Ultra drives at all.

| I have looked and looked and haven't been able to find a source other than
| the latest kernel source, and those aren't any newer than the one we are
| using (June 98)

There are patches available for the 2.0.35 kernel source, as well as
the 2.1.123 development kernel source. The URL is

ftp://ftp.dialnet.net/pub/linux/aic7xxx/5.1.0-pre-patches

Despite what it says, the latest is pre15, not pre14. Doug Ledford,
the developer, just popped that one on the server before he left for a
short time.

It's fairly stable, but some people are still having trouble with
their U2W controllers, and it's IDing one of my wide drives as a
narrow drive. Other than that I've been using the patches Doug puts up
for about a month and haven't had any other problems.

Gary