Re: using RAM above 64 Mb as a swap area

On Mon, Sep 21, 1998 at 07:06:32PM +0200, Christophe Broult wrote:
> I've just added more RAM on my old Pentium 100. Now I have 128 Mb of
> RAM and as expected I'm experiencing a slowdown when a program is run
> above the 64 Mb limit. I think that running programs in the first 64
> Mb and using the upper 64 Mb as a swap area would be more efficient
> because I would not experience as many performance penalties due to
> cache problems and swapping in RAM should be a lot faster than
> swapping on hard drive. Am I correct?

When I added memory beyond 64mb, I had to explicitly tell the kernel
how much memory I have.  Without this, Linux did not recognize the
extra memory, and naturally it wasn't being used.

append = "mem=96M"

I have the above line in my /etc/lilo.conf, in the Linux stanza.  This
added the parameter "mem=96M" to the kernel at boot time, so Linux
know exactly how much memory I have.  Naturally, you'd need something
to the effect of

append = "mem=128M"

Sorry if that's too obvious, but it could save you a lot of trouble if
you've overlooked this.  :)

Good luck,
Matt